I always enjoy going to the Anthropologie store in Salt Lake City and admiring all the amazing products and displays. Once they had a framed chalk art that caught my eye. So I went home and got my chalkboard out. Here is my Anthropologie inspired flower chalk art and how I did it!
When you purchase through links on this site we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. This helps us provide free content for you to enjoy.
Chalk art inspiration from Anthropology
How to transfer your design and create your chalk art
1. Choose a design and make a copy of it or sketch your own on a piece of paper. I drew my flowers after looking through Avian Friends Activity Journal.
2. Turn the paper over and rub chalk all over the back of it.
3. Lay your design on your chalkboard getting it centered where you want it. Draw over your design with a colored pen. I like to use a colored pen because I can tell what part I have done.
4. When you are through lift the paper off and you will see a light copy of your design.
5. Go over it with a sharp piece of chalk. Don’t get too uptight if its not perfect. Its chalk! You can always erase it and start over. If you love your chalk art and you don’t ever want to erase it you can spray it with a permanent fixative so it won’t rub off.
Sharpen your chalk so it has a fine point
My daughters and I took a chalkboard art class at a local shop. We learned lots of chalk art tips and how to do fun borders and lettering. One important thing I learned was to sharpen my chalk to get a fine line for detail. I didn’t know you could sharpen chalk! It doesn’t matter what kind of chalk you use, but you need a sharpener with an extra large opening.
You can find them in the makeup or school supply section at Walmart. I bought and tried a few until I found one I really liked. Sharp chalk is important for creating these designs. You will need to sharpen your chalk often because the fine tip wears down quickly.
This is another flower chalk art I did. I got the flower design from Treasury of Flower Designs. This is another good book to own if you like to include flowers in your art or craft projects.
If you want to learn more about chalk art and lettering this book is a winner!
Take a look at my new website!
In August 2020 I started reading online to my grandchildren, who live hundreds of miles away. A few years and over a thousand books later we are still reading together on FaceTime. I created readaloudgrandma.com to help other grandparents that want to have a rewarding experience reading aloud to children they love!